27g dry salted ikan kurau (salted fish)
6 bowls boiled white rice
small slice of turmeric leaf
sprig of curry leaves
4g galangal (lengkuas)
1 tsp ginger flower (bunga kantan)
5g lemon grass
sprig of daun pegaga
sprig of daun raja
sprig of daun kesom
5g daun kadok
large sprig of fresh mint leaves
1 kaffir leaf (daun limau purut)
sprig of fresh bay leaves
5g whole black peppercorns
1 salted egg
48g raw cucumber
1. Cut dry salted fish into cubes. Roast until golden brown, then mince fish meat finely.
2. Wash all herbs and chop fine.
3. Mix rice with fish flakes, chopped herbs and crushed pepper until the rice is loose and herbs well mixed. Season to taste.
4. Peel and slice salted egg. Slice cucumbers.
5. Serve rice with salted egg and cucumber slices.
- From the article Rice, Asia's favourite staple diet by Ruby Khoo.