Cooking and preparation time: One hour and 30 minutes.
1 green capsicum, thinly sliced and seeds removed
1 red capsicum thinly sliced and seeds removed
1 big eggplant, chopped into cubes
Fresh tomatoes, chopped into cube and remove skin and seed
Tomato puree (Chef Jean likes the alce nero brand)
2 zucchinis, chopped into cubes and sprinkled with sea salt to remove excess water
3-4 cloves of chopped garlic
1 small table spoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
1 small table spoon of fresh oregano, chopped
1 small table spoon of fresh basil, chopped
Coarse sea salt
Optional: Black olives, saffron, smoked chilli, sun dried tomatoes.
1. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a shallow pan. Add the eggplant and cook until browned evenly on all sides. Set aside. Repeat the same process with the zucchini.
2. In a thick-bottomed or a cast iron pot, heat two tablespoons of oil and add in the onion.
3. Once soft, pop in the green and red capsicum. Toss in the chopped garlic and leave to simmer until soft before adding the zucchinis and eggplants. Add the tomatoes and mix well.
4. Add the chopped herbs, and brown sugar and cook uncovered on low heat for one hour for the flavours to blend.
5. Season with salt and pepper.