1 whole chicken (approx 900gm)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 tbsp sour plum sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 stalk parsley
1. Clean chicken properly and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Rub the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Pound ginger and squeeze out juice. Mix ginger juice with sugar, light soya sauce and plum sauce.
(Use this to marinate chicken. Leave aside for one hour,
returning to pour marinate over chicken every fifteen minutes.)
3. Hang chicken to dry under hot sun for two hours or more.
4. Heat 5 cups oil in kuali. When very hot, lower the
chicken into the oil. The oil should cover the chicken
(Using a ladle, spoon hot oil to bast top half of chicken.
When underside is golden brown, turn chicken over. Continue to bast chicken with scoops of hot oil, paying
particular attention to the parts that are under-done.)
5. When done, allow to stand for 10 minutes to cool
slightly. Then chop up and serve immediately or the skin
will lose its crispiness.
Serve with sliced cucumber and chilli or plum sauce
- From the article No fowl-up with old formula by Je'n.