12g dry black mushrooms
120g topside beef
45g frozen peas
45g canned button mushrooms
90g palm olein
60g palm olein (cooking oil)
12 portions of boiled white rice
27g oyster sauce
19g light soya sauce
13g black soya sauce
1/4 tsp white pepper powder
18g sesame oil
1 egg yolk
1. Mince garlic. Soak four black mushrooms in water and dice later. Dice button mushrooms. Mince the beef. Peel and slice prawns.
2. Bring water to boil. Blanch green peas and mushrooms for a few seconds. Take out and drain.
3. Heat wok, add 90g palm olein and fry minced beef for a few seconds.
4. Drain and put aside. Fry prawns.
5. Heat the second palm olein, add minced garlic and fry until golden brown. Add boiled rice and stir fry well. Add blanched mushrooms, green peas, sauteed beef and prawns.
6. Season with soya sauce, oyster sauce, black soya sauce and pepper.
7. Stir fry well until rice grains are loose and well coated by the seasoning.
8. Break eggs and beat. Heat a hot griddle and make a paper-thin skin of egg by pouring the beaten egg onto the griddle. Flatten and distribute with a spatula. Remove skin carefully from griddle and place in a bowl.
9. Pour fried rice into the egg skin. Put one egg yolk in the centre and fold skin together into a parcel. Place on a plate. Serve the parcel and cut open in front of guests.
- From the article Rice, Asia's favourite staple diet by Ruby Khoo.