3 cups rice, washed
1 ½ tbsps oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
½ tsp salt
Water to cook rice with
400g kai choy, the local variety, cut finely
1 piece ginger (4cm), smashed
400g minced chicken or pork
1 Tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp dark soya sauce
1 ½ tsps cornflour
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsps dried prawns, peeled and washed
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsps oil
1. Heat oil in wok, brown the garlic in it. Add the washed rice, fry and add salt. Add enough water to cover the rice. Transfer the rice to a claypot or rice cooker.
2. Marinate the meat with the two sauces, cornflour, pepper and salt.
3. Fry dried prawns in hot oil till crispy and fragrant. Dish out.
4. Add 1 Tbsp oil to the remaining oil, add the ginger and fry till fragrant. Add the meat and stir-fry for two minutes before putting in the kai choy. Give it a quick fry and dish out.
5. Set the rice to cook, simmering over a low fire as in a claypot. When the rice is about cooked, add the kai choy, meat and dried prawns. Stir the rice up with the meat and vegetable mixture, cover for a few minutes and taste before serving.