300g skinless, boneless chicken, cut into 2 1/2cm pieces
Oil for deep frying
350g cleaned yam, cut into 1 1/2cm pieces
6 shallots, sliced
3 tbsps cooking oil
60g dried prawns, soaked for 15 mins and drained
300g rice (2 rice measuring cups), washed and drained
2 tsps light soya sauce
3 1/2 cups fresh chicken stock or water
2 tbsps chopped spring onion
1 red chilli, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp light soya sauce
1/2 tsp thick soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp rice wine
1 tsp cornflour
1. Marinate chicken with seasoning ingredients.
2. Heat oil in deep saucepan and deep-fry yam pieces for 8-10 minutes or until just cooked. Drain from oil and set aside.
3. Put in sliced shallots and fry until golden. Drain shallot crisps from oil and set aside for garnishing.
4. Reheat a clean saucepan with 3 tablespoons oil and stir-fry dried prawns until fragrant. Dish out and set aside. Put in rice and toss for 1-2 minutes. Stir in light soya sauce.
5. Remove saucepan from the heat and place the fried rice in a rice cooker. Pour in chicken stock and switch rice cooker on.
6. When the stock comes to the boil, add yam and chicken. Let the rice cook until done. Just before dishing out, sprinkle with shallot crisps, spring onion and red chilli.